August 28, 2016

A Glimpse into 2020

With the boys' school closed today, we opted to make great use of our time together and explore the local area.  First up, a farm. Pony ride, check. Petting zoo, check. Goat feeding, check. Now time for lunch. Jahan plowed thru his sandwich and fruit, the sun amps up his appetite for some reason.




After lunch, we hopped into the car to pay a visit to this restaurant I have been wanting to try for sometime. It's called One Dish Cuisine. The restaurant prides itself in being very allergen friendly and free of most things that could send Jahan into an allergic tailspin.

We pulled up and went inside and were greeted by the owner. After a short intro, I learned that his wife has many food allergies and he was inspired to create an atmosphere for people like Jahan, to eat safely. Freely. And be a normal kid and eat a damn cupcake or a cookie or both.

Jahan asked for a chocolate cupcake. This was a first, not the cupcake part because I cook and bake all sorts of things at home, but the part about ordering dessert in a restaurant and eating it at a table in the restaurant. Seems basic for most, but not for Jahan.  We all sat down as I placed the chocolate cupcake in front of Jahan. I smiled, watched and waited with joy and my camera of course. Jahan still is unaware of how his allergies impact him, so this moment really was for me. Jahan removed the frosting and ate one-third of the cake - then he was done.  The freedom I felt in not having to ask one question about what was in that cupcake, what is the risk of cross-contamination, what are the "natural flavors" was indescribable  - to my surprise, that is all I really got from this moment. There was no extreme exhilaration as I thought there would be. Jahan is not a "foodie" by any means. His appetite is very small, so he did not show the excitement I was expecting even when eating the cupcake. He just doesn't really care about food or even sweets. In a big way, this makes dealing with his allergies much easier.  The joy I was expecting will only come when I see Jahan excited with glee, usually while he is playing soccer or trucks with his brother or at the beach with friends or a backyard barbecue with a slip-n-slide.  Fun>food.

Jahan removed the frosting - his least favorite part
Jahan all finished with his cake


This moment let me take a glimpse into our future and feel what that freedom will be like when Jahan is completely cured, yes I said cured of his food allergies.  

1 comment:

  1. This is a great picture of Jahan. He looks like such a big boy. Like he has accomplished one of his goals and he doesn't realize it!!! LOL!! I am sure he will visit this restaurant again.

    ReplyDelete