August 30, 2016

Pregnant? What Your OB is NOT Telling You

You're tired. You're hungry. You're nauseous. You're late.

You're pregnant! Congratulations! Babies are the world's greatest gift and they provide endless joy and challenges. What happens when those challenges are health related and could have been prevented or been less extensive?  Well, from experience, it sucks and you then work to restore the baby's health.

When pregnant with Jahan, I followed the advice of my OB, she was board certified and it was her fiduciary duty to guide me to optimal fetal health. She prescribed me prenatals that were rather pricey, $100 for a month supply, and didn't provide any other recommendations. I would visit her monthly until I was 36 weeks along and then I visited her weekly until my son was born.

There was no other guidance from my OB, so I opted to do my own research.  Some things I learned included:

So shoot for a vaginal delivery and breastfeed the baby - easy enough. 


Once Jahan arrived and started showing baby eczema, we learned a lot of other things that we could have done while pregnant to ensure the highest immune system possible. My OB never shared these tips. Perhaps she didn't know. Maybe a new protocol could be to see a pediatrician or immunologist at week 20 of pregnancy. There has got to be a way to ensure pregnant mothers receive all information that may impact their baby. Some things to consider while pregnant:
  • Avoid antibiotics while pregnant and get Group B Strep tested closer to delivery instead of at 35-37 weeks
  • While pregnant, supplement with prebiotics and probiotics
  • Ensure you are getting adequate Vitamin D
  • Limit sugar intake while pregnant
  • If a c-section is required, inoculate the baby with mom's vaginal flora immediately following the c-section delivery 
When pregnant with my second child, Emrys, I applied all of the above and he has had no immune system issues. His microbiome is flourishing.  He has had none of the complications Jahan has had and we also expose him to germs and dirt! 

No comments:

Post a Comment